[torqueusers] Torque 2.5.2-snapshot - Cygwin Version

Felix Wolfheimer Felix.Wolfheimer at cst.com
Tue Jul 27 01:03:42 MDT 2010

Dear Igor,

I've just installed the Torque 2.5.2 -snapshot version from the download page and tried to install and test it on my Windows XP x64 machine. Before installing the new software I did a "make uninstall" on the old one. I followed exactly your documentation README.cygwin and this time it worked without problems on my machine. I no longer get the message I got before (that the shell could not be executed). I did not need the LSA registry feature of Cygwin. A test job runs fine. Amazing :-)!

Now for another problem ;-): The main application which I would like to run under the control of Torque is a GUI application, i.e., it will open a graphical user interface and there is no way to prevent this. If it is running on Linux it just opens its GUI on the virtual X server (Xvfb). However, as this mechanism does not exist on Windows the program just gets stuck (I guess it gets stuck in the moment where it tries to open its GUI). I know that, e.g., the LSF resource management system is able to use the Microsoft Terminal Services for this type of applications. You can then even connect to the session your job is running in via the RDP client (tspeek command) and see the GUI of your program which is quite convenient for a user as he can directly see the progress of his job. The following link points to the website where the LSF guys explain how to set this up with LSF: http://ams.cern.ch/AMS/7/lsf_windows_using/msts.html

Do you see any chance that something similar is possible with Torque? Otherwise I'm getting stuck here as this application is more or less the only one which should run under the DRM and I'm not an expert (yet) in Windows Terminal Services. However, if you see any chance to get this working I'm willing to invest some time to become an expert in the Terminal Services thing ;-).

Thanks for your help!

Best regards

Felix Wolfheimer