[torqueusers] Why does torque require pbs_mom/pbs_server be run as root?

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:07:25 MDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is also the hard part of keeping your job when your managers
> find out that you forked off your little number crunching job to use
> every computer in the department, without the permission of the people
> logged in,

But he's talking about installing it on just the person's own computer
isn't he? How would it affect other computers in the dept. ( unless
the people owning those machines allowed this person to install torque
on their machines).

>and your little number crunching job has a memory leak or
> makes other people's long number crunching jobs  take 3 times as long
> due to hogging CPU's If I found out you were grabbing 2 CPU's on my
> desktop or my build server while I'm building kernels, I'd be pretty
> upset. And if I were the IT person who had people coming to them
> whinging about it, and found that it was somebody running Torque
> behind my back, they'd be looking at a suspension of their login and
> possible disciplinary hearing.

I still don't get the argument. How is requiring torque to be root
installable only going to solve the resource-hogging problem? I see
several ways in which a non-root process can hog resources too. And
this is a problem on any multiple user machine. Maybe setting limits
on memory, cpu etc for processes is the answer.

--
Rahul