[torqueusers] Why does torque require pbs_mom/pbs_server be run as root?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Jul 16 14:44:34 MDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 03:26:59PM -0500, skip at pobox.com alleged:

>     Craig> How about this: No process should be run as root unless it needs
>     Craig> to.  There is no reason that Torque should have to be root if it
>     Craig> is only being used by a single user.
>
> I agree with Craig.  I don't know the rationale behind using a low-numbered
> port for communication between pbs_server and pbs_mom processes, but if you

The point of using priv ports is so that the other side knows it is talking to
a priv binary. It needs to know that it isn't just some trojan binary run by a
regular user.

Can you imagine running ssh on 2222? When I ssh to my friend's box, I know it
is a root-owned process and not something started by another user ready to
steal my password.

University of Southern California

Life is Good!