[torqueusers] Why does torque require pbs_mom/pbs_server be run as root?

Craig Tierney Craig.Tierney at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 16 08:19:48 MDT 2010

On Jul 15, 2010, at 10:40 PM, Garrick Staples wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2010, at 9:21 PM, Christopher Samuel wrote:
>>
>> The trick will be getting this working without breaking
>> the current behaviour where it needs to be able to change
>> user to the people it is forking jobs as.
>
> I think that's the easy part... just don't setuid() and setgid().
>
> The hard part is client authentication. We entirely depend on pbs_iff being setuid root.

Thanks for the discussion.  When I get time I will just dig
into the code and see what I can find.   For at least the point
you bring up here, I would suspect that the authentication
would need to be changed such that if the server processes
are not running as root, then the client should only authenticate
when the user matches.

I guess when I get time (hopefully soon) I will dig in an see what
happens.

Craig