[torqueusers] Why does torque require pbs_mom/pbs_server be run as root?

Craig Tierney Craig.Tierney at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 15 21:37:25 MDT 2010

On Jul 15, 2010, at 2:32 PM, Mgr. Šimon Tóth wrote:

>>> Why in the world would you need to run the daemon as user?
>>>
>> Because not everyone in the world has root access, perhaps?
>
> Just to put you into perspective.
>
> If you have machine dedicated to yourself and still don't have root
> access, then it is a politic problem and no technical solution can solve
> politic problems.

No, at "work" users shouldn't have root.  That is bad.  You are never going
to keep a secure system if a non-trained user is expected to use root.

How about this:  No process should be run as root unless it needs to.
There is no reason that Torque should have to be root if it is only being
used by a single user.

> If you are trying to run this on a machine that is not yours, then (at
> least in our environment) you would have both the sysadmins and the
> security team in your office very soon demanding explanation why are you
> running a software that allows third party access to the machine.

The point of running Torque as a user (and not root) is because it makes
it easy to do.  You don't have to get the admins involved for a non-secure
process.   This wouldn't allow 3rd party access.  I want to just keep the
Torque installation local.

For example, look at www.personalpbs.com.  This is in the right direction,
but it doesn't scale far and I can't be asking users to buy licenses all the
time (although they could).

Craig