[torqueusers] Why does torque require pbs_mom/pbs_server be run as root?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 17:16:06 MDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Craig Tierney <Craig.Tierney at noaa.gov> wrote:
> The documentation says that the torque daemons must be run as root.
> Why?  I want to figure out how to startup torque on my local machine and
> only queue my own jobs.  Getting a sysadmin involved to start torque
> up as root isn't going to work.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

I went through this recently. It's the safest and most reliable way to
do things, because you're going to be taking up system resources on
the other systems, and the daemons normally used to talk to the other
daemons run on low numbered ports (which take reoot privileges to
open), nad are configured to write to places like "/var", which take
root privileges to open up.

You can do much of this as a non-root user by completely reconfiguring
the software and installing it as a non-root user, but it takes a lot
of work. And to get the permissions to allocate the system resources,
it's generally considered a lot safer if you get the cooperation of
the system administrators.

What I've done was get the root administrator to cooperate in
allocating resources and providing "sudo" permissions for me to run
the services, rather than try to run this kind of services behind my
system administrator's back. And when I was the administrators, I gave
the users the resources they needed to install and run Torque, to
assure that they didn't step on critical services. It generally worked
out, but took communications and cooperation to do.