[torqueusers] Why does torque require pbs_mom/pbs_server be run as root?

Craig Tierney Craig.Tierney at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 15 13:31:33 MDT 2010

On Jul 15, 2010, at 1:14 PM, Garrick Staples wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:10:49PM -0600, Craig Tierney alleged:
>> The documentation says that the torque daemons must be run as root.
>> Why?  I want to figure out how to startup torque on my local machine and
>> only queue my own jobs.  Getting a sysadmin involved to start torque
>> up as root isn't going to work.
>
> Because pbs_mom and pbs_server must because the user at various points in the
> process.

My point is that it is going to be run by the user, and only that user would
have the ability to use the system.

> Perhaps Torque is the wrong tool for the problem you are trying to solve?
>
> Torque is designed for building clusters. I'm not sure what purpose Torque
> would serve on a single machine.

Torque is designed to provide a "portable batch system" to allow for
control and allocation of resources.   So when I have a 48 core desktop
box and I want to run through 1000s of processes of some job stream,
why leverage the features of torque such as priorities and job dependencies
to manage the work.

The real reason I want to use it is that we have developed code for
to manage complex workflows.  It runs on many different batch systems
(SGE, LSF, PBS variants, etc).  However, some users would like to
move their workflow definitions between large supercomputers and
local machines (not using the same core count of course).   The manager
we have developed does not have the ability to fork processes, just qsub jobs.
So we could either add the fork ability which in effect would be rewriting
the batch systems (to make the function resilent), or get something like
torque to work for a single user running as that user.

I guess I can try out torque and remove the check for root and see what happens.
It isn't a good solution because the code assumes it is running as root, and it
isn't clear what might happen if something goes wrong with no error checking to
support this mode.

Craig

Craig