[torqueusers] Why does torque require pbs_mom/pbs_server be run as root?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Jul 15 13:14:43 MDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:10:49PM -0600, Craig Tierney alleged:
> The documentation says that the torque daemons must be run as root.
> Why?  I want to figure out how to startup torque on my local machine and
> only queue my own jobs.  Getting a sysadmin involved to start torque
> up as root isn't going to work.

Because pbs_mom and pbs_server must because the user at various points in the
process.

Perhaps Torque is the wrong tool for the problem you are trying to solve?

Torque is designed for building clusters. I'm not sure what purpose Torque
would serve on a single machine.

University of Southern California

Life is Good!