[torqueusers] Torque 2.5.0 beta on Cygwin

Igor Ilyenko valexa at newman.bas-net.by
Thu Jul 15 10:33:16 MDT 2010

Hi  Felix!

Thanks that you have time for Torque even on your vacation.

14.07.2010 19:01, Felix Wolfheimer wrote:
> Some comments already:
> I faced the "Administrator" problem I mentioned before (all user
> accounts are assigned to primary group "none") with this version of
> Torque:
>
> http://www.clusterresources.com/downloads/torque/snapshots/torque-2.5-beta_0.20100702.tar.gz
>
> which is the official beta of 2.5.0 I think.

Cygwin often uses group 'None' (513) or group 'Domain Users' (10513).
This is its some specificity.
But Torque works nevertheless.

You can use the 'id' Cygwin's command for more detailed information
about users and groups. For example:

Administrator at vxp64 ~
$ id
uid=500(Administrator) gid=513(None) groups=513(None),544(Administrators),545(Users)

user at vxp64 ~
$ id
uid=1003(user) gid=513(None) groups=513(None),545(Users)

> I looked into the source
> code (I love Open Source Software :-)) and the problem occurred in
> src/lib/Liblog/chk_file_sec.c. There is a check which tests if the user
> account running the program belongs to the group with id 544 which is
> the local "Administrators" group. This gave me the idea of checking
> the /etc/passwd and /etc/groups files. From what you described about the
> mkgroup in Cygwin 1.7 I guess that all users of Cygwin 1.7 will face
> this problem somehow.

For Cygwin 1.7 in Torque-2.5-beta this problem is solved already,
and so  I am surprised that you mention it.

Check your version.
Was it rewritten?

> As mentioned in my first post I plan to use Torque for the management of
> user jobs on our Windows cluster (the Linux cluster is already running
> smoothly under the control of Torque) which consists of Windows Server
> 2003 R2 x64 and Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 systems (actually two
> clusters). The XP x64 system is just a playground as it is not a
> production system. If I can't get it to work there I'll try on one of
> the servers.

It is very interesting for our team.

Especially Server 2003 x64 and Server 2008 x64 which haven't been tested
yet.

--

Igor  Ilyenko

Software Architect

United Institute of Information Problems NAS of Belarus
http://uiip.bas-net.by