[torqueusers] PBS in Cluster

Tim timlee126 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 30 17:58:10 MST 2010

Hi,

I am learning and have some questions about using PBS to submit jobs in a cluster.

(1) If not using qsub to submit a job, will the job be running only on the single node where it is submitted?

Even if the job is parallelized by MPI and run by mpirun, is it still running on the single node, not the others?

So is qsub used for submit job to running on other nodes in the cluster?

(2) In a pbs script that is submitted by qsub, are all the commands executed one after the other?

If I want to run several executables at the same time, is it to make these calls background by adding "&" at the end?

(3) In the pbs script, if the several calls to run the executables are running the same time by running background, are the number of nodes and processors per nodes specified to be the total needed by all those calls?

If yes, and the number of nodes and processors per nodes specified are not completely available but enough to run some of the calls, will some of these calls be run first or delayed until the requested total resources are completely available?

Thanks and regards!