[torqueusers] procs resource advice and docs

Gareth.Williams at csiro.au Gareth.Williams at csiro.au
Wed Jan 20 19:35:13 MST 2010

> I'd actually like to be able to use a combination of procs and nodes,
> e.g.,
> -l nodes=1:ppn=8,procs=80
> i.e., request one complete node (we have 8-core nodes) and no restriction
> for the remaining processors. The reason: think of a master-slave
> program: the master is idle most of the time, the slaves do all the
> work. Thus it is a waste of resources to reserve one core for the
> master. But evil sysadmins (like myself) do not allow oversubcription
> of processors (cores), if the job does not claim all processors on a
> node. The syntax above would allow me to run 9 processes on the first
> node, i.e., the master and 8 slaves. Admittedly such cases are rare
> and not hugely important.

-l nodes=1:ppn=8+procs=80
Might be better.  I was thinking of making a feature request to allow a multi-procs syntax to specify that some procs needed to run on nodes with particular features or software or countable resources such as gpus.  Mixing nodes and procs like this might not be much more complicated - or it might be hard...

Cheers,

Gareth

Ps. We are using cpusets so don't care much about users running more processes than allocated cores.