[torqueusers] procs resource advice and docs

Gareth.Williams at csiro.au Gareth.Williams at csiro.au
Wed Jan 20 03:55:12 MST 2010

Hi All,

After finding out that there is a 'procs' resource a while back, I've run some tests (with a 2.3 torque and moab) specifying procs instead of nodes and think I'd like to recommend it to our user community (particularly on our 128p numa system). It complements the 'nodes' resource specification nicely for when you just want allocated cores and don't care about the how they are arranged on nodes.

Is anybody already using the feature?

Is there a downside apart from the lack of documentation?  I see it's documented in the pbs_resources_unicos8 man page so I guess it was developed by or for CRAY, possibly long ago, but it seems to work fine on our linux systems.  The pbs_resources_unicos8 man page does not mention that it conflicts with the nodes resource syntax but I guess this is obvious.  moab just uses the nodes resource request if it is present (ignoring the procs resource) and I guess maui would too but that is a function of the scheduler and doesn't really have a place in the torque docs per-se.

Can the linux pbs_resources man page should be updated to include the procs resource?

Thanks,

Gareth
http://www.hpsc.csiro.au