[torqueusers] epilogue script runs twice

Kevin Van Workum vanw at sabalcore.com
Mon Jan 11 14:58:19 MST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:21:35AM -0500, Kevin Van Workum alleged:
> > However, it would be a nice feature if torque could give some notice to
> the
> > epilogue script that it has already been run for a particular job and for
> > what reason, i.e. sigterm or sigkill.
>
> Would it be all that useful?

I would find it useful for reasons stated above.

> If your script knew that epilogue was run before, what would it change?

There are cases when the epilogue script should do some task(s) only once.
If it knew that a particular job had already been (or is currently being)
processed by a previous instantiation, it could just skip the do-only-once
tasks.

> You still wouldn't know if it completed; if it completed successfully. Your
> script wouldn't know if *it* had been run before; if it completed. What if
> your
> script had been terminated halfway through it's critical stage?
>
> Everything in epilogue just needs to be written to be indempotent.

Sure, but it would be much easier in some cases if you knew a priori that
epilogue had already been called to process a job. E.g. 'echo "your job
completed on $(date)" >> some.log' would be difficult to make idempotent.

> --
> Garrick Staples, GNU/Linux HPCC SysAdmin
> University of Southern California
>
> Life is Good!

Kevin Van Workum, PhD
Sabalcore Computing Inc.