[torqueusers] pbsd_init failed

Joshua Bernstein jbernstein at penguincomputing.com
Thu Jan 7 17:49:05 MST 2010

Jan Dettmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install torque 2.4.3 on a single workstation with 8
> cores. It installed fine, I entered the name of the server into the
> nodes file and then started a queue. When I restarted the server, I got
> this error:
>  >pbs_server
> PBS_Server: LOG_ERROR::process_host_name_part, no valid IP addresses
> found for 'homathko' - check name service
> PBS_Server: LOG_ERROR::pbsd_init(setup_nodes), could not create node
> "homathko", error = 15010
> PBS_Server: LOG_ERROR::PBS_Server, pbsd_init failed
>
> I am likely missing something obvious. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is because TORQUE isn't able to resolve the hostname homathko which is
likely found inside of /var/spool/torque/server_priv/nodes. If this is the
hostname of of the workstation, try adding its IP address to your /etc/hosts
file. Otherwise maybe your DNS isn't setup properly.

-Joshua Bernstein
Senior Software Engineer
Penguin Computing