[torqueusers] sending mails with mail command

Coyle, James J [ITACD] jjc at iastate.edu
Wed Feb 24 11:30:00 MST 2010

Arnau,

   This is a strange one, but I have seen this problem.

   Are you an emacs user?

   If so, issue the command

cat -e  scriptname

to see if you have an end-of-line character for the last line.

   Sometimes batch schedulers have the "feature" that the last line of
The job file is not executed if it does not end with and EOL character.
vi will put one in if you just exit without hitting enter after the last line,
but emacs does not.

   If you don't have an EOL character after the last line,  try going  into
emacs, go to the end of the last line and hit ENTER so you get the EOL inserted
and then  try again.

   I have a qsub wrapper script which looks for this and for unprintable characters
in the job file also which come from DOS or from cut and paste from some websites.

  The command dos2unix  jobfile will convert files with unprintable CTL-M's imbedded in it.

 - Jim C.

 James Coyle, PhD
 High Performance Computing Group
 115 Durham Center
 Iowa State Univ.           phone: (515)-294-2099
 Ames, Iowa 50011           web: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jjc