[torqueusers] prevent log deletion / jobs with no time limit

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Feb 19 12:30:39 MST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 04:25:09PM +0100, Vincent LIARD alleged:
> Hello all,
>
> There are two small problems I still haven't solved that some of you
> could possibly answer easily. If you have some seconds to help me out...
>
> 1) How to preserve torque logs forever ?
> (so that tracejob can be used on it any time)
>
> As a first step, I tried:
> # qmgr -c "set server log_file_roll_depth=30"
> # qmgr -c 'p s' | grep log
> set server log_events = 511
> set server log_level = 7
> set server log_file_roll_depth = 30
>
> However, my log is still cleared every day...
> Shall I do something more ?
>
> Moreover, how can I preserve logs indefinitely ?
> Would setting log_file_roll_depth to -1 do the trick ?
> (I seem to remember having read something like this but I don't manage
> to find it back.)

The default is to not delete anything. Just unset log_file_roll_depth.

> 2) How to allow my jobs to have no (cpu, wall) time limit by default ?
>
> qsub documentation says "If not set for a generally available resource,
> such as CPU time, the limit is infinite."
> However, when I set no limit tu cputime, there *is* a 1 hour limit.
> So, I use some high limit for these jobs (qsub -l cput=05:00:00).

The default is no limits. If you are seeing a 1 hour limit somewhere, then you
have that configured in either qmgr or maui.cfg.

University of Southern California

Life is Good!