[torqueusers] Job Input Files

Jim Prewett download at hpc.unm.edu
Thu Feb 11 14:18:46 MST 2010

Hello,

I'm not entirely sure you're proposing here: Are you proposing to
set up STDIN for the job script (the pbs script that you submit to the
batch server which is subsequently run on the "lead node" of your job)?
If so, in my experience, this proposed feature is not currently missed.

I have never once missed not having STDIN for my job script: In general,
they are pretty simple things that end up starting the "real application"
on all of the nodes/processors I've requested.  Almoast always they look
like:
#PBS -l...

mpirun ... program_or_script
# or
pdsh program_or_script

Its this program_or_script that sometimes needs input from STDIN.  How we
generally handle that is to write a small "wrapper script" that sets up
the proper STDIN redirection.  N.B. I find that if the program being run
needs input from STDIN, it is common that the different invocations of
said program (i.e. each process in an MPI job) may require different input
on STDIN.

HTH,
Jim

James E. Prewett                    Jim at Prewett.org download at hpc.unm.edu
Systems Team Leader           LoGS: http://www.hpc.unm.edu/~download/LoGS/
Designated Security Officer         OpenPGP key: pub 1024D/31816D93
HPC Systems Engineer III   UNM HPC  505.277.8210