[torqueusers] Queue script job

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Dec 9 11:52:14 MST 2010

Troy Baer wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 12:08 +0100, Guille wrote:
>> How i can make a PBS script to make him wait to run till another job
>> in the same qeue has finished.
>>
>> I mean for exemple: on queue1 i have job1 running, and i want to job2
>> to wait till job1 has finished to be executed.
>
> Please take a look at the qsub man page, specifically the section about
> -W depend=.
>
> 	--Troy

Hi Guille

Besides the -W depend=[afterok, etc] that Troy suggests,
if you are running a series of jobs where the new one
continues the work done by the previous, you may
resubmit the job from your Torque/PBS script,
instead of queuing up the whole series at once.

Something like this:

#PBS ...
mpirun -np 32 ./myprogram
qsub myjob.pbs (or qsub $0)
exit

To make this work, first you need to do:

qmgr -c 'set server allow_node_submit = True'

if this server attribute is not yet set this way.

We use both mechanisms here, depending on what is needed.

My two cents,
Gus Correa