[torqueusers] Problem with ppn and routing : Possible way to get the routing you want continued.

Ken Nielson knielson at adaptivecomputing.com
Fri Dec 3 09:17:39 MST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "J.A. Magallón" <jamagallon at ono.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 2, 2010 5:07:19 PM
Subject: Re: [torqueusers] Problem with ppn and routing : Possible way to get the routing you want continued.

>I was not aware that torque was pretty useless without a scheduler, ie,
>jobs just sit in the queue in Q state if pbs_sched is not running. I had
>understood that without a scheduler there was a FIFO policy, and that a
>scheduler just let you do more complicated things. But using pbs_sched
>is mandatory for a real system. IT is THE FIFO.

TORQUE has a scheduler. pbs_sched. The TORQUE package consists of the scheduler (pbs_sched), a server (pbs_server) and an execution daemon (pbs_mom). Each piece has a distinct role. In the case of pbs_server it is the communicator. It lets the scheduler know what is available based on the information it receives from the MOM nodes (pbs_mom)and passes information or instructions from the scheduler to the MOMs.

Maui and then Moab added more capability to the scheduling piece of TORQUE than pbs_sched. Currently, I would guess over 95% of TORQUE users use Moab or Maui as their scheduler. I do not have hard data to back that up. I only know from the people I have worked with over the last two years on the mailing list. I would recommend using Maui as a free alternative to pbs_sched. If you are going to manage clusters with more that 250 nodes I would recommend getting Moab.

Ken Nielson
Adaptive Computing