[torqueusers] Problem with ppn and routing : Possible way to get the routing you want continued.

"Mgr. Šimon Tóth" SimonT at mail.muni.cz
Fri Dec 3 03:40:48 MST 2010

>> The TORQUE "resource manager" knows nothing of ncpus. When a job is submitted and the ncpus keyword is used the string is passed through to the scheduler. In the case of PBS this would be pbs_sched. If you run torque without a scheduler and call qrun for a job you will get a single node and a single processor to run the job.
>
> I was not aware that torque was pretty useless without a scheduler, ie,
> jobs just sit in the queue in Q state if pbs_sched is not running. I had
> understood that without a scheduler there was a FIFO policy, and that a
> scheduler just let you do more complicated things. But using pbs_sched
> is mandatory for a real system. IT is THE FIFO.

The original FIFO is just doing blind run requests (after some basic
limits checks), hoping for the server to do the real work (which it does
do for ppn a properties).

It's a great base for real scheduling code. We have full resource
semantics, virtual machine scheduling, extended starving job support,
node dedicated to queues and vice versa and many other features very
easily built on top of pbs_sched.

--
Mgr. Šimon Tóth