[torqueusers] Problem with ppn and routing : Possible way to get the routing you want continued.

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 14:26:55 MST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Ken Nielson
<knielson at adaptivecomputing.com> wrote:
> On 12/02/2010 11:06 AM, Garrick Staples wrote:
>> ncpus and nodes are competing ways to specify a resource request. Don't mix
>> them and everything works better.
>>
>> ncpus pre-dates clusters and is used to specify the number of cpus on 1 node.
>> nodes was grafted into OpenPBS later in life to deal with clusters.
>>

> The TORQUE resource manager has no concept of ncpus. It is interpreted
> by the scheduler. In the case of Moab it indicates the number of procs
> to be used per task.

I don't know much about how ncpus are handled, but torque must have
some kind of concept, as it predates nodes, and I don't think anyone
went through and stripped out all kinds of code related to ncpus.  I
do know that your $PBS_NODEFILE only gets one host for requests using
ncpus unless you are using something like Maui or Moab.