[torqueusers] TORQUE 2.4.10 released

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Aug 31 09:56:58 MDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:12:42AM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia alleged:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:
>
> > Yes, verbatim.
> >
> > %define configure_args ''@ac_configure_args@
>
> *Not* verbatim. That's what the shell parsed and passed along to the
> "./configure" script, not what the author typed at the command line.
> For example, "./configure --prefix=$HOME/torquedir" will get recorded
> with ac_configure_args "--prefix=/home/nkadel/torquedir".

Looks like verbatim to me. The top-level shell passed /home/nkadel to
configure, not $HOME. ./configure wrote exactly what it was passed to
torque.spec.

> > %build
> > CFLAGS="%{optflags}" ./configure %{?configure_args}
>
> And this is *horrid* practice, because if the .spec file manager or
> author changes the "__libdir" as set earlier in the script, it's
> overridden. So are the options for building drmaa or the gui.

"spec file manager"? That's me.

My goal is create rpms that match the upstream default build as close as
possible in the easiest way possible.

If someone is editing the spec file, they get to keep the pieces.

> .spec files usually assemble their "configure" options, for example
> with the '%configure' macro, which works well, and by adding or
> disabling components such as drmaa with a flag controlling the use of
> the ''--enable-drmaa" configure option.

Unfortunately, we can't use %configure because you can't pass arbitrary flags
to it on some distros because it is an enourmous multi-line string of commands.

Keeping it simple also meets the goal of matching the upstream default build.

> The EPEL .spec files are pretty good about this, but they don't
> currently support the drmaa utilities, which is why I'm looking at
> them.

I would certainly hope that the EPEL spec file uses %configure; it would be
against their policy otherwise.

What ever happened to the original complaint that drmma didn't work with my
'make rpm'? That's all I'm interested in. I don't care what EPEL does. I don't
care about people editing the spec file. I care about my spec file working.

University of Southern California

Life is Good!