[torqueusers] TORQUE 2.3.12 final release available

Ken Nielson knielson at adaptivecomputing.com
Mon Aug 30 09:48:31 MDT 2010

On 08/30/2010 03:18 AM, Jan Švec wrote:
> Hi,
> not so long ago I've been told that 2.3 branch is stable and 2.4 is
> beta. Is it true? Which branch is now stable? 2.4 or 2.5?
>
> Thank You
> Jan Svec

With the release of 2.5 the 2.4 branch will now be the stable branch.
What does that mean for 2.3?

The 2.3 branch is still viable code. If you are currently using the 2.3
code branch and it meets your needs there is no push to try and get you
to a newer branch. However, if there are any bugs found in the 2.3
branch, fixes for those bugs will no longer be committed to the tree. It
will be incumbent upon the user to maintain their own fixes.

The 2.4 release has been around for nearly a year. It has received
numerous bug fixes and some new enhancements. It has been deployed on
several systems around the world and has proven to be reliable. It will
continue to be updated with bug fixes and well contained minor feature
enhancements. It is now the official stable branch because we are going
to leave it alone as far an new development is concerned.

The 2.5 branch was just released in July. It had some significant
changes and in spite the efforts of many to make sure we got a clean
release there were some critical bugs found and we have been working to
get those fixed. 2.5.2 should be released soon. We can evaluate the
stability of the release once it is deployed. We have our fingers crossed.

The 2.5 branch will also continue to get minor enhancements that will
not go into the 2.4 branch. The policy to allow new features is what
makes the 2.5 branch not the stable branch. However, the intent is to
make it just as usable and stable as 2.4.

If you have any questions please post them here.

Thanks

Ken Nielson
Adaptive Computing