[torqueusers] TORQUE 2.4.10 released

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 21:11:22 MDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Ken Nielson
<knielson at adaptivecomputing.com> wrote:
> On 08/27/2010 02:39 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Ken Nielson
>> <knielson at adaptivecomputing.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> We are pleased to announce the release of TORQUE 2.4.10.
>>>
>>> It is available now for download at
>>> http://www.clusterresources.com/downloads/torque/torque-2.4.10.tar.gz
>>>
>> Nice. I'm looking at the .spec file for RPM buildinging, and noticing
>> that it drops things in /usr/local/ (naughty, naughty!!!!), and
>> doesn't effectively handle turning on the DRMAA features. Does anyone
>> use those? Are they worth enabling in the RPM's?
>>
> We get a lot of help from the community supporting the RPMs. But we at
> Adaptive Computing officially punt on the RPM. That is just another way
> of saying we are not supporting it. But Garrick Staples and others have
> put a lot of effort into making RPMs available.
>
> You can update your copy or we can hopefully get some help.
>
> Ken

Hee-hee. Considering that I *wrote* the first RPM's I can find
anywhere for Torque, working from the older OpenPBS, why yes:  I'd say
that community does try to help out. Not to be obnoxious, I'm laughing
in memory of doing it: what's in place now is not my  format, because
it overwrites RPM defaults and stuffs things in /usr/local, which is
also why I'm waggling my finger at the authors of it. Tsk, tsk: The
default "/usr/local"  default prefix for autoconf built tools is
overridden by default RPM macros to be "/usr" in almost every RPM
based OS, for pretty sound reasons. That's why I'm waggling my finger
at the authors of that particular .spec file for building RPM's.

It also doesn't seem to work for enabling the drmaa toolkit: the
"--enable-drmaa" option doesn't get fed to the "./configure" command,
even if the feature is enabled in the .spec file. This is why I'm
looking at them: if the drmaa features actually get used by anyone,
cool, let's make sure they work in the .spec file. If not, let's
remove them from the .spec file and not pretend they're a feature that
can be enabled. Such features drive me *crazy*.