[torqueusers] Upgrade from 2.1.*

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 12:14:48 MDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 01:46:27PM -0400, Glen Beane alleged:
>> know about, sometimes other developers change the job structure and I
>> don't know about it) I add additional upgrade code to handle that
>
> What? We've had job struct changes slip by unnoticed?

I *think* I've caught it each time before an actual release, but there
certainly have been testing snapshots pushed around with job struct
changes and no upgrade support.  In some cases I just happened to
catch the fact that it happened, there was no process around making
sure upgrade support was included with the struct change, and if I
hadn't noticed the change then a job struct change would slip by
unnoticed.

> We should get something in the build system that checks this. Maybe have a
> define with the known size (per arch?) and an assert()?
>
>   #define JOBSTRUCT_KNOWN_SIZE 48
>     assert(sizeof(pjob->ji_qs) == JOBSTRUCT_KNOWN_SIZE)
>
> It would make it a serious pain to change it; and that's the point.

that would be good.  Although I'd really love to get rid of just
dumping the struct right to disk and have something that can be
extended without jumping through hoops to maintain compatibility.