[torqueusers] Upgrade from 2.1.*

Joshua Bernstein jbernstein at penguincomputing.com
Tue Aug 17 11:38:32 MDT 2010

David,

As Sarah point out, there are problems with doing that large of an
upgrade while jobs are running. As you know, the job data structure has
changed quite a bit from 2.1 to 2.4, and thus currently running jobs are
detected as corrupted, and generally unpredictable things seem to
happen. More often then not, when pbs_server starts back up it sees
these jobs, but isn't able to correctly process them, and thus they get
lost or worse, sometimes get killed. My advice would be to do the
upgrade only after draining the system of of jobs. It some cases when a
complete drain isn't an option, I've done this using a rolling upgrade
with two pbs_server and two sets of pbs_mom's running

-Joshua Bernstein
Penguin Computing