[torqueusers] Green computing - Power on/off

Jeff Anderson-Lee jonah at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 10 12:04:59 MDT 2010

  On 8/10/2010 2:05 AM, rishi pathak wrote:
> Power aware scheduling should not restricted to node power on and
> off(costly affair), it should also facilitate for fine grained power
> control at node leve(CPU throttling, power to memory banks). Although
> we have not evaluated MOAB for green computing, but by looking at
> documentation, it seems like moab does not still provide for it. Also
> it would be better if previous usage patterns are considered and not
> just the idle time for a node.
Some studies have shown that the biggest/easiest win in the power game
is from shutting machines off, not slowing them down, as around 50% of
the power in many  servers is non-CPU related.  Shutting down power to
memory banks could be a possible savings, but I'm not aware of
motherboards that make that an easy option.  Turning off disks can help
a little in some cases, for some loads, but given a 15W disk versus a
95W processor...

It may seem costly to turn machines on and off, but if your cluster
usage fluctuates broadly at different times of the day it *is* the *low
hanging fruit*.

Jeff Anderson-Lee