[torqueusers] Green computing - Power on/off

"Mgr. Šimon Tóth" SimonT at mail.muni.cz
Sat Aug 7 17:15:24 MDT 2010

> *For the power saving purpose  we want to call one script / program for
> each job submission.
> **This script should run only on head node and perform job to turn on
> extra nodes if free nodes are not sufficient to run a job.*
> *
> *Another script/program will  turn-off idle nodes .
> How to do that ...Will appreciate if you share any idea for implementation.

On/Off probably isn't a good idea. The On/Off cycle is extremely power
consuming, look into power saving configuration and sleep states instead.

An idle PC doesn't consume much energy (just make sure its really idle -
no unnecessary logs or deamons), configure disk spindowns, CPU
throttling, etc...

--
Mgr. Šimon Tóth