[torqueusers] MPI version of "make" ?

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 12:49:42 MDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Bill Benedetto <bbenedetto at goodyear.com>wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know if there is an MPI version of "make"?
>
> Specifically, we're looking for something that would run a "make"
> across a number of nodes.
>
> Thanks for any help/suggestions/ideas!

I worked on getting "distmake" to work well with TORQUE to use with a
make-driven high-throughput sequence analysis pipeline. the pipeline had
been tested with SGE qmake by the instrument vendor, but we use TORQUE on
our cluster.  It was mostly working, but I had problems where build steps
would fail because dependencies were not found when they had been generated
on a different node (they did exist).  This was because of file attribute
caching. Other people did not see the problem depending on their distro and
NFS version.  I did get it to work with file attribute caching turned off
for the mount.  Another work around would be to use a lower cache attribute
time out value (say 1 second) and preface each make rule with a sleep 2.
>From input from other distmake users it seemed this depended greatly on
NFS/distro version - it wasn't a problem at all on some distros, others it
was (and it varied between versions of the same distro).

http://distmake.sourceforge.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php