[torqueusers] Change in interactive job behavior from previous torque versions.

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 11:23:47 MDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Justin Bronder <jsbronder at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 14/04/10 13:19 -0400, Glen Beane wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM, David Beer <dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
> >wrote:
> >
> > > I talked to the developers who worked on this, and they assumed that
> > > submitting qsub -I pbsi.sh would just ignore pbsi.sh, so they thought
> this
> > > wouldn't changed the behavior. I will try to resolve this.
> > >

> > this change in behavior is still catching torque users off guard.  I
> think
> > the change should be backed out and the devs that added this need to find
> > different way to accomplish what they need (maybe a new command line
> > argument and not hijack the -I argument)
> >
> > -glen
>
> For what it's worth, changes like this and other problems in the 2.4 series
> were why I didn't even package it for Gentoo until 2.4.6.  While I did
> finally release the package for testing, I will not push this on our stable
> users until there is some sense of coherence between Adaptive and the
> experienced users on this list.
>
> It seems to me that if this is a feature (?) desired by some of the
> developers at Adaptive, then Glen has suggested the best solution.  Are
> there
> any barriers to implementing it?

What is particularly disturbing is this was a documented (and used) feature
of torque, and apparently it was assumed to be a bug.  If the developers had
consulted with the community they would have known that they were making a
change that would impact a lot of long time TORQUE/PBS users.  It should
have been caught before making it into a production release.

The TORQUE project will continue to be plagued by these unannounced behavior
changes/bugs until the development process is more transparent and open.
The community NEEDS to be involved, or at some point someone is going to get
sick of this and fork TORQUE.