[torqueusers] Restrict queue to group?

Coyle, James J [ITACD] jjc at iastate.edu
Thu Apr 8 08:47:46 MDT 2010

Peter,

  The following describes how you can accomplish what you want with pbs_sched.

Restricting a queue to a group or groups:
   Yes, you can restrict a queue to a group or set of groups
using the acl_groups attribute on a queue.

   E.g. I have a queue named "lq" which is restricted to only two
Groups: ccresearch and an_sci2
via the qmgr commands:

set queue lq acl_groups = ccresearch
set queue lq acl_groups += an_sci2

   The groups need to explicitly request this queue via qsub -q lq  ...
I was not able to set this up within my default routing queue.  If you
find a way, let me know.

Getting jobs from this group to run ahead of other groups:
   To get jobs run immediately when a job comes in, you need nodes idle
except when a job from that queue is running.
  I have this requirement for small short jobs on the cluster for students,
as that is the primary pur[pose of the cluster, and most jobs are class
assignments which can at least be debugged in one hour run on 4 nodes.
  To implement this I set up a queue named "small_short" which allows only 1 hour
runs on at most 4 nodes.  I arrange the nodect.available for the other queues
so that when they are added up, there are at least 4 nodes available.
I have nodect.available set up for small_short so that many of these jobs can run
at once with no more that one per user at a time.

  This might seem wasteful of nodes, but the primary purpose of the cluster is
fast access for short classroom assignments.  Keeping the cluster busy all the
time is secondary. (After all, what good is a parallel program that solves
your problem in 15 minutes after a wait in the queue of 48 hours, if you
could have solved the same problem on a desktop in 4 hours.)

Good luck on our setup,
- Jim C.

 James Coyle, PhD
 High Performance Computing Group
 115 Durham Center
 Iowa State Univ.           phone: (515)-294-2099
 Ames, Iowa 50011           web: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jjc