[torqueusers] qsub crashing with dependency list between 62 and 75 jobs long

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 17:27:25 MST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:17:24PM -0800, Chris Berthiaume wrote:
> Hello,
>
> qsub will consistently crash when a job is submitted that has a job
> dependency list between 62 and 75 jobs long.  This could be caused by job
> count or by the size of the dependency string, I'm not sure.  All the job
> IDs are 5 digits long so the limit in terms of characters in the list
> would be 372 to 450 characters

since the dependency buffer in qsub is 2K in 2.3.7, and 64K in later
versions of torque, It doesn't look like that should be a limitation
in your case.  Can you open a bug in bugzilla
(www.clusterresources.com/bugzilla)?  No matter what qsub should not
crash.  At worst it should print an error message saying you have
exceeded some limit, so I would consider the behavior a bug (even if
you were exceeding a limit),  and since you don't appear to be hitting
the buffer size limit there must be something else going on as well.