[torqueusers] Error 15007(Unauthorized Request ) - HELP

Jeremy Enos jenos at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 16 20:28:32 MST 2009

Hi-
I'm having the seemingly popular "Unauthorized Request" error when
attempting to perform a management operation from a host remote to the
Torque server.

The problem:
[root at ac ~]# /usr/local/bin/pbsnodes -o ac01
Error marking node ac01 - Unauthorized Request
[root at ac ~]#

The server log around the failure:
11/16/2009 21:14:54;0002;PBS_Server;Svr;PBS_Server;Torque Server Version
= 2.4.2, loglevel = 0
11/16/2009 21:15:00;0080;PBS_Server;Req;req_reject;Reject reply
code=15007(Unauthorized Request ), aux=0, type=Manager, from root at ac

The server settings (apparently relevant ones):
set server acl_hosts = ac
set server acl_users = root
set server managers = root at ac
set server operators = root at ac

The system:
OS:  FC9 on server, FC10 on remote machine, both x64
The Torque server is also the cluster's NIS server.

Other info:
Previous distribution provided version, 2.1.10, was working just fine
with the same setup.  I had to change versions due to some other bugs in
2.1.10, but it's remote management worked with no issue.  I didn't make
any other changes than Torque versions- I even kept the same serverdb
since it didn't give me any errors when I updated.  However, I did try
creating a fresh serverdb, and I still have the same problem.

This error code seems to be used for a couple dozen different
conditions, so I have no idea what's wrong.  Any ideas?
thx-

    Jeremy