[torqueusers] What is the Maximum no of compute Nodes in torque

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed May 13 03:08:27 MDT 2009

On Tue, 12 May 2009, Gus Correa wrote:

> The Torque documentation is quite terse about the hard limits.

Indeed, I have looked for these some time ago as well...

> 1) If Torque doesn't allow more than 1024 simultaneous connections to
> pbs_moms, can one run simultaneous jobs on more than 1024 nodes?

My understanding is that the connections are not persistent, so there
is no direct link between this number and the number of pbs_moms. This
only shows how many pbs_moms can talk to the master at one time.

> 2) Or does this require increasing the PBS_NET_MAX_CONNECTIONS value?

Not without switching from select() to poll().

> 3) Would a larger value require also changes in the OS limits,
> to work properly?

You might need to first set (u)limits, possibly in the init.d start
script.

--
Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de