[torqueusers] Hogging Nodes

pat.o'bryant at exxonmobil.com pat.o'bryant at exxonmobil.com
Fri Mar 20 11:33:18 MDT 2009

Sarah,
    Two points which I recently learned that control how nodes are
allocated to jobs.

1) Your maui.cfg should have "nodeaccesspolicy=shared" or whatever
"wide-open" is. You can only make requests as a user that are more
restrictive than the global policy. Since the global policy is wide-open
the users can specify thru Torque what they want.

2) Thru Torque you can code something like the following:

#PBS -l nodes=10,tpn=1,naccesspolicy=singlejob

What this statement means (at least in my Moab world and I would assume a
similar situation for Maui) is "give me 10 tasks with 1 task/node. Also, I
want to be the only job on any of the 10 nodes.  For us, understanding that
"nodes" needs to be interpreted as "tasks" made all the difference. So one
more example:

#PBS -l nodes=64,tpn=4,naccesspolicy=uniqueuser

This statement says I want 64 tasks with 4 tasks/node. I will get a total
of 16 nodes (64/4). Also, I only want 1 of my jobs on the nodes. Others are
allowed on the nodes but they too will be restricted to 1 job as well.

Check this link:
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/5.3nodeaccess.shtml
And this one:
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/13.3rmextensions.shtml#NACCESSPOLICY

Hope this helps,
Pat

J.W. (Pat) O'Bryant,Jr.
Business Line Infrastructure
Technical Systems, HPC

             Sarah
             Mulholland
             <smm at rincon.co                                             To
             m>                       "Gareth.Williams at csiro.au"
             Sent by:                 <Gareth.Williams at csiro.au>
             torqueusers-bo                                             cc
             unces at superclu           "torqueusers at supercluster.org"
             ster.org                 <torqueusers at supercluster.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                      RE: [torqueusers] Hogging Nodes
             03/20/09 09:55
             AM

There are a lot of great suggestions, but none seem to fit our situation
exactly.  Yes, we only want to affect the usage in question (a particular
program or two). In the general case we want all processors on all nodes to
be available.

The ppn=2 solution might be the best approach if we could write a little
bit of software to make half the jobs do nothing.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Sarah