[torqueusers] unwanted email notifications

Stijn De Weirdt stijn.deweirdt at ugent.be
Tue Mar 17 05:57:17 MDT 2009

hi all,

we are running torque 2.3.6 and have configured support for email
notifications, but implemented a submit filter that the mailpoint is set
by default to 'n'. (which should mean never i think).

all this works, but sometimes our users receive email from jobs even if
the mailpoint is set to n.
one example (we're not sure if it is really this that happens) is when a
user tries to delete a running job and the pbs_mom on the node is down.
they receive the usual 'Server could not connect to MOM' but they also
get an email teling them.

anyway, since the mailpoint was set to 'n', we assumed this could never
happen (and this is starting to become an annoyance for them).

i briefly looked at the 2.3.6 code and found some "intersting" mail
configs that might be related to this.
in req_deletejob.c::req_deletejob there is the following mailing option:
on line 463
svr_mailowner(pjob, MAIL_DEL, MAIL_FORCE, log_buffer);

i was wondering if this part of req_deletejob is responsible for the
described behaviour and what is the reasoning for using MAIL_FORCE as
the force argument for svr_mailowner (as opposed to MAIL_NORMAL), since
the check in svr_mailowner is 'if (force != MAIL_FORCE)' (with force
said 3rd argument).

stijn

--
The system will shutdown in 5 minutes.