[torqueusers] Generic resources not working in 2.3.6 ?

Kamil Kisiel kamil at zymeworks.com
Thu Mar 5 15:02:18 MST 2009

On 14-Jan-09, at 16:47 , Kamil Kisiel wrote:

> Previously we were running 2.1.x on our cluster and our moms were
> configured with the following generic resource:
>
> Image_version !/usr/bin/cat /VERSION
>
> The file /VERSION contains the version string for our node image. We
> were able to extract this information from the generic resources in
> our monitoring script and see which nodes run which version of the
> image. After upgrading to 2.3.6 this week this no long works.
>
> I’ve also tried setting $configversion as a possible alternative,
> but it seems that value is not reported by pbsnodes either.
>
> I know our previous usage was a slight abuse of the intent of
> generic resources, but it worked as far as getting information from
> a node dynamically goes. Any ideas what could be wrong, or
> suggestions on an alternate implementation?
>
> - Kamil

Well, I posted this over two months ago and nobody ever replied. The
problem is still bugging us and I have yet to find a solution. Does
nobody else use generic resources?

The image_version property used to show up in pbsnodes output for a
node, but since the upgrade it seems no matter what I do I cannot get
it to show again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Kamil

Notice of Confidentiality: The information transmitted is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error
please contact the sender immediately by return electronic transmission and then
immediately delete this transmission including all attachments without copying,
distributing or disclosing the same.