[torqueusers] Exit Status 267

Gareth.Williams at csiro.au Gareth.Williams at csiro.au
Wed Mar 4 14:32:19 MST 2009

> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 09:40:06AM -0800, James A. Peltier alleged:
> > Can someone please explain how the exist status system works?  What is
> > exit status 267?
>
> Torque generates negative values for its own errors.  Positive values come
> from
> the user's program.

As a value from the users program, the exit status is (usually?) the result from 'wait'.  There's a straightforward explanation in the perl system function documentation (perldoc -f system).

You can deconstruct a positive status as follows:
echo 267 | perl -e '
$c=<>; chomp $c; $s=$c&127; $e=$c>>8;
print "code $c sig $s exit $e\n"'

code 267 sig 11 exit 1

So I think your job died on a segfault (signal 11).

If anyone knows better, I'd like to be corrected.

-- Gareth