[torqueusers] only 1 core jobs in the queue

web master webmaster at acellera.com
Mon Mar 2 05:54:07 MST 2009

Hi

I am very inexperienced with torque, and found myself trying to set up
a queueing system on a // cluster, with 12 8-core nodes.
Majority of users only needs to run single processor jobs, so I created
a queue for them and a queue for // jobs, i.e. more than 1 core.

Fast queue specs:
# Create and define queue fast
#
create queue fast
set queue fast queue_type = Execution
set queue fast max_running = 24
set queue fast resources_max.ncpus = 1
set queue fast resources_max.nodect = 1
set queue fast resources_max.nodes = nodes=1:ppn=1
set queue fast resources_max.size = 1
set queue fast resources_max.walltime = 12:00:00
set queue fast resources_default.ncpus = 1
set queue fast resources_default.nodes = nodes=1:ppn=1
set queue fast resources_default.walltime = 12:00:00
set queue fast enabled = True
set queue fast started = True

However, I cannot manage to stop jobs using up to 4 cores to be enqueued in
the fast queue.

XXXXX at nodo0>qsub -q fast -l nodes=1:ppn=1 launch_single.sh
11002.nodo-ha
XXXXX at nodo0> showq | grep MYUSERNAME
11002              MYUSERNAME    Running     1    12:00:00  Mon Mar  2 14:23:19
giupponi at nodo0> qsub -q fast -l nodes=1:ppn=2 launch_single.sh
11003.nodo-ha
XXXXX at nodo0> showq | grep MYUSERNAME
11003               MYUSERNAME   Running     2    12:00:00  Mon Mar  2 14:23:30
giupponi at nodo0:~/Vesicles/pka_outside/TestQueues> qsub -q fast -l
nodes=1:ppn=9 launch_single.sh
qsub: Job exceeds queue resource limits MSG=cannot locate feasible nodes

launch_single.sh

#!/bin/bash
#PBS -N sleep
#PBS -e sleep.e
#PBS -o sleep.o

sleep 10

Assuming I am not doing anything wrong, how can I obtain the desired behaviour?
If not with torque, with maui maybe?

Cheers