[torqueusers] How large scale (Number of jobs/nodes) Torque & Maui can support?

Craig Tierney craig.tierney at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 30 09:03:04 MDT 2009

Erming Pei wrote:
> Hi Experts,
>

> I have one question about Torque&Maui. That is, how large scale (Number
> of jobs/nodes) Torque & Maui can support? And according to your
> experience, which organization is running the current largest
> Torque/Maui cluster in the world?
>

>   We are using Torque&Maui for local scientific computing. With the
> nodes and jobs increased sharply and continuously (8000+ CPU cores
> expected in the near future), we need to know how large that this free
> software solution can support on earth. If it’s hard to support large
> cluster well, we have to consider to buy commercial products such as
> LSF. It’s too expensive…

You might talk with Cluster resources.  They can provide support
contracts that will help you use Torque on a larger scale.

If Torque doesn't work, you can still use free software.  SGE will
easily do 8k cores (See TACC at 65k cores).  We have 3500 cores under
SGE, upgrading to 7K in 30 days.  I am not concerned at all about it
working.

If you go to LSF, do you still plan to use Maui?  If you have to
use Maui, regardless of the batch system, that should drive your choices.

Craig