[torqueusers] accounting

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Jun 24 16:57:08 MDT 2009

Hi David, list

David Singleton wrote:
> Gus Correa wrote:
>> Hi Jon, Troy, list
>>
>> Besides Troy's suggestions:
>>
>> Ole Holm Nielsen wrote a suite of scripts to do Torque/PBS accounting
>> reports:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.fysik.dtu.dk/pub/Torque/pbsacct-1.4.6.tar.gz
>>
>> I never tried it,
>> but would guess a prologue script may be able to do #2 also,
>> say, by checking if the project number is on a list of projects,
>> and returning an abort exit code (1),
>> if the project is not valid:
>>
>> http://www.clusterresources.com/torquedocs21/a.gprologueepilogue.shtml
>>
>> However, this may reject the job only when it starts,
>> not right after qsub, like Troy's "qsub filter" would do.
>> In other words, the prologue solution defers the job deletion to run time.
>>
>> My doubt is how to enforce the use of the "qsub filter",
>> instead of the actual qsub command.
>> I suppose the user could always write the full path to qsub, instead of
>> the filter alias.
>>

> Or they could build/install their own qsub ... or they could call pbs_submit()
> directly ...    Not many users would but if you have enough users ...
> In the end, we decided the "right" solution was to put hooks in the server's
> req_quejob().
>
> David

Short from Teddy Roosvelt's
"Speak softly, and carry a big stick",
your and Naveed's suggestions are the best I heard of
to handle rogue behavior on the Torque queue system.

I am amazed by the Aussie user creativity!
Our rogue's gallery is small, if any,
but we are a small community, the focus is not computer science.

Any hints on how to patch-n-hook the server's req_quejob.c?

Many thanks!
Gus Correa