[torqueusers] accounting

Troy Baer tbaer at utk.edu
Tue Jun 23 13:22:29 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 21:09 +0200, Jon Tegner wrote:
> We need to monitor the usage of our cluster resources, and we need to
> now how much time is spent by different projects (a user can work on
> several projects). So what I need to do is the following:
>
> 1. Each user should supply a project number when submitting a job.
> 2. If the project number is not a valid one the job should be rejected.
> 3. We need to extract the relevant information from the
> server_priv/accounting/2009xxxx-file.
>
> I can do 1 and 3 if I let all nodes have "project-properties", but I
> haven't managed to find out how to achieve 2.
>
> Can this be done in torque? And surely there is a better approach than
> this one?

One way to handle #1 and #2 is to write a submit filter that checks for
a valid project code rejects the user's job if none is found.

As far as #3, there are lots of examples of code out there of how to
parse and analyze the TORQUE accounting records.  For instance, PBS
Tools [1] includes a set of Perl scripts that parse the accounting logs
and stuff them into a MySQL database.  It all depends on what you want
to do with it, and it seems that every site is slightly different in
that regard.

[1] http://www.osc.edu/~troy/pbstools/pbstools.tar.gz

	--Troy
--
Troy Baer, HPC System Administrator
National Institute for Computational Sciences, University of Tennessee