[torqueusers] pbs_mom request, was Re: PBS_MOM kills running jobs when restarted

Jacques Foury Jacques.Foury at math.u-bordeaux1.fr
Thu Jul 30 03:13:15 MDT 2009

George Wm Turner a écrit :
> use the -p option when you restart pbs_mom; from pbs_mom man page
> <snip>
>   -p     Specifies  the  impact  on jobs which were in execution when
> the
>          mini-server shut down.  On any restart of  MOM,  the  new
> mini-
>          server  will not be the parent of any running jobs, MOM has
> lost
>          control of her offspring (not a new  situation  for  a
> mother).
>          With  the  -p option, Mom will allow the jobs to continue to
> run
>          and monitor them indirectly via polling.  The -p option is
> mutu-
>          ally exclusive with the -r option.

I experienced serious trouble because this is not the default behaviour
for mom...

I always put the -p parameter, and I wonder why I may have something
else !!! Why could someone want his job killed when restarting mom ???

I urge the developers to put "-p" as the default behaviour for mom... or
at least to put this option in the startup script for the different
packages (rpm or deb...)

Jacques Foury
administrateur systemes, reseaux, clusters
Institut de Mathematiques de Bordeaux