[torqueusers] pbs_mom request, was Re: PBS_MOM kills running jobs when restarted

Jacques Foury Jacques.Foury at math.u-bordeaux1.fr
Thu Jul 30 03:13:15 MDT 2009

George Wm Turner a écrit :
> use the -p option when you restart pbs_mom; from pbs_mom man page
>
> <snip>
>   -p     Specifies  the  impact  on jobs which were in execution when
> the
>          mini-server shut down.  On any restart of  MOM,  the  new
> mini-
>          server  will not be the parent of any running jobs, MOM has
> lost
>          control of her offspring (not a new  situation  for  a
> mother).
>          With  the  -p option, Mom will allow the jobs to continue to
> run
>          and monitor them indirectly via polling.  The -p option is
> mutu-
>          ally exclusive with the -r option.

I experienced serious trouble because this is not the default behaviour
for mom...

I always put the -p parameter, and I wonder why I may have something
else !!! Why could someone want his job killed when restarting mom ???

I urge the developers to put "-p" as the default behaviour for mom... or
at least to put this option in the startup script for the different
packages (rpm or deb...)

--
Jacques Foury
administrateur systemes, reseaux, clusters