[torqueusers] ncpus acting wierd

Ansgar Esztermann aeszter at gwdg.de
Wed Jul 29 10:48:29 MDT 2009

On Jul 29, 2009, at 18:09 , abhishek gupta wrote:

> I am trying to use 'ncpus' but when I submit my job, the job runs only
> on one cpu. Is there any parameter that I need to set to make it work?

I am not sure if I understand what you mean; but torque does not make
your scripts (or binaries, for that matter) run on several CPUs. If
you submit a script with the command "hostname" to 16 nodes with 4
CPUs each, the output will be the name of one of the hosts, printed
once.

In order to use more than one CPU, you will have to set up your
software accordingly. Parallelizing existing software is not always
trivial. But then again, the program you wish to use might already
support parallel execution. In that case, you will have to run it in
an appropriate way. If it is MPI-based, you will probably want to
start it with mpirun or mpiexec, like so:
mpirun myprog

A.
--
Ansgar Esztermann