[torqueusers] Limiting number of running jobs user selectable

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Jul 13 09:37:02 MDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 11:18 -0400, Brock Palen wrote:
> Is there an easy way to limit the number of running job for a user,
> where the user can choose?

not that i know of.

i usually recommend to "package" jobs.
i.e. have multiple backgrounded mpirun/mpiexec calls
on subsets of the machine. with libtorque this should
distribute the jobs automatically, IIRC. we mostly use this
trick on cray XT machines, though, where this helps to
get large projects into the proper job scheduling class...

and then put a "wait" into the submit script
to wait for completion of the backgrounded chunk
and then just have a regular job dependency
chain on those jobs.

cheers,
   axel.