[torqueusers] Does "qsub -p" set the job priority?

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Jul 9 18:51:13 MDT 2009

Dear Torque and Maui experts

Can anybody clarify if "qsub -p" is effective?

I.e., does it set the job priority when one is using Torque AND Maui?

In this case, how the Torque "qsub -p" priority range of -1024 to +1023
translates into a Maui job priority number?

Or is the user supposed to change the job priority with "setspri",
after the job is queued with "qsub"?

I couldn't find any clarification of this matter on the qsub man pages,
or on the Maui and Torque Administrator Guides.
My simple experiments with a bunch of jobs
suggested that "qsub -p" doesn't work,
doesn't really set the job priority.
(They ran in the order they were submitted, not according to the priority).
However, I may be missing some fundamental and undocumented feature
that only the savvy insiders know about. :)

I found this 2006 thread on the very same problem,
and I wonder if the issue was resolved:
http://www.supercluster.org/pipermail/mauiusers/2006-November/002446.html

I appreciate any help.

Many thanks,