[torqueusers] (sub)queue configuration questions

Jim Kusznir jkusznir at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 17:54:38 MST 2009

Hi all:

I have a cluster that I (currently) want two queues on.  1 queue is
the default, and it will use all nodes in the cluster for jobs as
needed.  It has a 24 hr walltime limit.

The second queue is the "long" queue.  It has no walltime limit, but I
want to limit how many cores of the cluster it will use to 64 (1/3 of
my cluster).  Ideally, users may queue many jobs totalling well over
it, but even of the resources are available, I do not want jobs from
this queue to ever use more than 64 cores.  If I need to lock it down
to a speciifc set of nodes, that's fine.  However, if someone queues a
large job in the default queue that needs those cores, I want "normal"
scheduling to take place (i.e, torque will schedule the job to execute
once those cores are available, etc).  The idea is to ensure that at
least 2/3 of the cluster is available for jobs at least every 24
hours, but for those users who can't break up their job, they can
still run, but can't take over a large portion of the cluster.

I've tried my best guesses based on the torque manual, but so far my
attempts have had very undesirable effects:

1) every job (including ones explicitly wanting 1 node) get changed to 64;
2) jobs requiring more than 64 are still run

--Jim