[torqueusers] limit number of processes in a queue

Tony Schreiner schreian at bc.edu
Tue Jan 20 12:48:18 MST 2009

I want to set up a queue that is limited in the number of processors
it uses.

I've so far set it up to use a class of machines  mem64 in my nodes
file, and there are 10 of these nodes, and they are all 8 core (with
np=8 in nodes).

I would like my queue to use not more than 32 processors. I thought
resources_max.nodect=32 might do it (or resources_max.nodect=4) , but
I can submit more than 32 and they all run immediately.

Here is the full pbs parameter list for the queue:

et queue bigmemhigh queue_type = Execution
set queue bigmemhigh Priority = 80
set queue bigmemhigh resources_max.nodect = 4
set queue bigmemhigh resources_max.walltime = 24:00:00
set queue bigmemhigh resources_default.neednodes = mem64
set queue bigmemhigh resources_default.nodect = 1
set queue bigmemhigh keep_completed = 86400
set queue bigmemhigh enabled = True
set queue bigmemhigh started = True

I've got another queue called bigmem to  uses the mem64 nodes but is
not limited

set queue bigmem queue_type = Execution
set queue bigmem Priority = 50
set queue bigmem resources_default.neednodes = mem64
set queue bigmem resources_default.nodect = 1
set queue bigmem resources_default.walltime = 168:00:00
set queue bigmem keep_completed = 86400
set queue bigmem enabled = True
set queue bigmem started = True

what's the proper way for me to limit the processors?
I'm running the maui scheduler if that is pertinent.

Thanks,
Tony Schreiner