[torqueusers] Torque and OpenMPI

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Jan 14 11:42:00 MST 2009

Chris Samuel wrote:
> ----- "Gijsbert Wiesenekker" <gijsbert.wiesenekker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> OK. So I don't have to change the Torque queue definitions?
>
> Nope.
>
> Probably a silly question, but you did add both nodes
> into the torque/server_priv/nodes file ?
>
> As long as OpenMPI is compiled against Torque's TM interface
> then it should learn everything it needs to know to run
> from the pbs_mom's, and launch jobs via them.
>
> cheers,
> Chris

Hi Gijsbert

I second Chris' suggestion.

You need to configure Torque on the master node (assuming you
have the pbs mom daemon's installed and running on the nodes,
and pbs server and scheduler on the master node),
if you still didn't.
Failing to tell Torque what the nodes are is a common mistake
search this and other clustering list archives and you will find out.

The two basic steps are:
1) Create a nodes file torque/server_priv/nodes with syntax
like this:
node1 np=4
node2 np=4

where the "np=4" is the number of cores on each node.

2) restart the pbs_server on the master node (service pbs_server restart).

See details on the Torque Admin Manual:
http://www.clusterresources.com/wiki/doku.php?id=torque:1.2_basic_configuration

I hope it helps.
Gus Correa