[torqueusers] torque.cfg attributes

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 17:31:12 MST 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 05:11:55PM +0800, onceihave alleged:
>> Hi all:
>>
>> I find the torque.cfg wiki page at clusterresources is already out of date. I fail to find other explanation how to set some attributes of them, such as XAUTHPATH, VALIDATEGROUP and DEFAULTCKPT.
>>
>> I am not sure these attributes are really used by qsub. What I read is qsub command does read cfg file. Does anyone have advice about that, and how to set these attributes if they are really used?
>>

> Yes, they are used, but generally not needed.  They just override some defaults
> for a few corner cases.
>
> The exact list of supported options depends on your version of torque.  Look at
> src/cmds/qsub.c (in main(), right after the call to load_config()) for your
> exact list.
>
> It is quite unfortunate that the torque.cfg options aren't in the qsub manpage.
>
> Here is the list for 2.1:
> QSUBSLEEP  integer.  Sleep seconds between doing anything.
> SUBMITFILTER file path
> SERVERHOST hostname
> XAUTHPATH file path to xauth
> CLIENTRETRY integer seconds between retry attempts to talk to pbs_server
>
> In addition, 2.3.6 has these:
> QSUBHOST  hostname for job's QSUB_O_HOST variable
> QSUBSENDUID  integer for job's PBS_O_UID variable  (sounds insecure)
> VALIDATEGROUP  Make sure submitter's group is valid  (not sure the point here)

what bugs me about options like this is that qsub does not check the
value of the option, but a value is required or else
get_param("VALIDATEGROUP", config_buf) returns NULL.   So the admin
has to put something there,  but VALIDATEGROUP 1, VALIDATEGROUP 0,
VALIDATEGROUP true, VALIDATEGROUP false, VALIDATEGROUP ABC all do
exactly the same thing!

I would change it so it has to be 1 or true but am hesitant to change
behavior without discussion